IOSH Managing Safely
Introduction to The Managing Safely IOSH course
Leadership in health and safety comes from all levels in an organisation and ensuring that managers and supervisors have the correct level of competence and capability to manage risk is essential.
The Managing Safely IOSH course has for many years set the standard for health and safety management training by enabling trainees to appreciate their own responsibilities and how to execute them in the role that they undertake. This nationally and international recognised course will furnish managers with the tools they need to manage safely and effectively.
Aims of the Course
To ensure health and safety requirements are appreciated by managers employed to implement an organisations policy. It is also designed to enable managers to review their own departmental safety systems, introduce new controls or implement changes as appropriate to ensure health and safety in the workplace. At the end of the course trainees will be able to:
- Define ‘hazard and ‘risk’ and describe the legal requirements for risk assessment
- Demonstrate a practical understanding of a quantitative risk assessment technique and what needs to be recorded
- Describe a hierarchy of controls
- Identify the data and techniques required to produce an adequate record of an incident and demonstrate the procedure for an accident investigation recognising the human factors involved
- Describe statutory requirements for reporting and procedures for checking on non-reporting where appropriate
- Describe methods for basic trend and analysis for reactive and proactive monitoring data
- Identify common hazards in the workplace and how to control them
- Prepare and use active monitoring checklists and implement schedules for active monitoring, recording results and analysing records
- Outline the main provisions of the law and its purpose
- Outline relevant health and safety legislation, codes of practice, guidance notes and information sources such as the health and safety executive
- Explain the component parts of a recognised safety management system such as that detailed in HSG 65 and OHSAS 18001
Who is it for?
Managers and supervisors in all types of organisations who want to manage safely and effectively in compliance with both their organisation’s policy and best practice in health and safety. The course comprises eight core modules.
How is it Delivered?
The course is delivered to the trainees desktop or laptop computer for them to undertake the training at their own pace. Using the supplied password the trainees login through a link provided to them. They have four months from the time they login to complete the training and submit their project.
Duration and Certification
The course can take up to twenty four hours to complete however typically trainees will take less time than this. Once the end assessment has been completed and practical project submitted successful candidates will be awarded an IOSH Managing Safely Certificate.
IOSH Managing Safely Guide (PDF) Download Pdf