Legionella Awareness Training
Legionella training is an important part of an organisation’s health and safety management and plays a vital role in protecting your employees, customers contracts and the public from illnesses such as Legionnaires’ disease.
Developed by health and safety experts, our in-depth legionella awareness training course provides all the knowledge you need to understand the risks of exposure to Legionella bacteria and the importance of risk assessments, written schemes, organisational responsibilities, regular monitoring and maintenance of water systems where these harmful bacteria may be found.
It covers the potential health risks posed by Legionella, the role Legionella risk assessments play, and the legal responsibilities of duty holders and responsible persons in controlling legionella risks.
- Ideal for employers, responsible persons and duty holders at all levels within an organisation.
- Suitable for landlords to develop awareness and conduct Legionella risk assessments.
- Learn what Legionella is, how it affects health and how to control the risk of Legionella.
- Online course conducted at your own pace – no previous knowledge required.
- Fully IOSH Approved, CPD Certified and SCORM Compliant training.
Why take this course?
Legionnaires’ disease and associated diseases can be fatal, resulting in over 80 deaths between 2013-15. There are around 500 cases of this waterborne illness each year, according to Public Health England. Failing to adequately manage Legionella risk can lead to significant fines and losses from operational disruption and closure of premises.
Premises, where water is distributed or stored, are at risk of Legionella exposure.
Business owners, managers, landlords and duty holders have a responsibility to assess, control and maintain the risk of Legionella exposure from water systems as part of their compliance with the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002 (COSHH).
Who should take Legionella Awareness Training?
The Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002 requires that a responsible person carries out appropriate risk assessments and puts in place measures to control hazardous substances, such as Legionella bacteria found in water systems. Suitable control measures, including Legionella training, should be put in place to prevent outbreaks of illnesses such as Legionnaires’ disease.
You do not need any previous or specialist knowledge to undertake Legionella Awareness Training.
Anyone can undergo Legionella awareness training. Our Legionella Awareness Training course is suitable for anyone who controls a premises – known as the duty holder – as well as business owners, managers and employees who need a general awareness concerning the presence of Legionella bacteria, the controls used to manage the risk of exposure and a duty holder’s legal responsibilities.
Covid-19 and legionella awareness
The impact of the Covid-19 coronavirus pandemic has resulted in many premises being left empty with water supply and storage systems non-operational. Water systems in premises that have been unoccupied present a risk of Legionella and Legionnaires’ disease. Our Legionella Awareness Training course is suitable if you’re planning on reopening a previously unoccupied building.
Course aims and outcomes
Our IOSH Approved Legionella Awareness Training course helps you understand all aspects of the risks posed by Legionella in water systems.
The course aims to make you aware of the main risks, the control measures that can be put in place, the importance of Legionella risk assessments and legal duties concerning Legionella management and compliance.
By completing our Legionella Awareness Training, you will:
- Understand what Legionella is and how it poses potential health risks to workers and others.
- Appreciate how Legionella can affect the health of employees, customers, contractors and the public, such as developing Legionnaires’ disease.
- Know the main ways Legionella can become airborne and be inhaled.
- Recognise the common control measures used to reduce the risk of Legionella, including risk assessments.
- Appreciate the legal responsibilities of duty holders, responsible persons and your role in Legionella management and compliance.
- Understand the consequences of failing to comply with the relevant legislation and guidance.
The course duration is 25-30 minutes and is completed online at your own pace.
Legionella Awareness Training course content
This training course is divided into three sections:
1. Introduction – Learn what Legionella is, the potential health risks of exposure to legionella bacteria and recognise the main ways legionella can become airborne.
2. Risk and Management Control – Understand the common control measures used to reduce the health threat posed by legionella, including a Legionella risk assessment and written scheme.
3. Duty holder Responsibilities – Appreciate the legal responsibilities of duty holders in assessing, controlling and maintaining water systems that may house Legionella bacteria, along with the consequences of failing to comply with relevant legislation.
Our IOSH Approved Legionella Awareness Training course includes summaries, interactive tools and exercises, and comprehensive tests to enhance learning.
Legionella Awareness Certificate: you’ll also be provided with an assessment and a certificate on the successful completion of the course.
How is the course delivered?
Our IOSH Approved Legionella Awareness course is delivered through our SHINE eLearning platform.
Candidates can access the Legionella Awareness Training online using a web browser or over a computer network on a laptop, desktop PC or mobile device. You can pause, save and resume training at any point to learn at your own pace. Once all elements are completed, a trainee will be required to complete an assessment to check they are familiar with the key aspects of the training.
This course is SCORM compliant for use on an external learning management system (LMS) if required.
SHINE – compliance record keeping made easy
The Praxis42 Digital Platform SHINE is our advanced Learning Management System and helps organisations deliver effective online learning for their employees.
A cost-effective tool for compliance record-keeping SHINE allows you to view and manage employee training records easily. Individual training certificates can be printed as proof of compliance for audits, defensibility or visits from enforcing authorities.
SHINE includes a range of dedicated online learning tools.
- Get real-time feedback on learning progress via the SHINE compliance dashboard.
- Manage organisation-wide training with tracking, reporting and auditing across teams.
- Deliver face-to-face training, webinars, training documents, enrolment and assessments – all in one place.
- SHINE Assessment Tool – identify and communicate organisational risks and co-ordinate training and resolution efforts.
- Build a comprehensive library of CPD Certified, and IOSH Approved compliance courses suited to your organisation.
- Bespoke learning for your employees – from course content and structure to awards and gamification.
- Real-time, live support with our experts to help you get the best from SHINE.
Other health and safety courses you may be interested in…
Legionella Awareness Product Guide Download Pdf
Our eLearning is IOSH Approved, CPD Certified and SCORM Compliant