Why carry out a Maternity Risk Assessment?
Employers have a legal responsibility to carry out an assessment of the risks to the health and safety of their employees whilst they are at work. This must include an assessment of risks to female employees of childbearing age and new and expectant mothers. Although completing a Maternity Risk Assessment for each individual employee is not a legal requirement, it is recommended as best practice. The purpose of completing a separate specific Maternity Risk Assessment is to help you decide if any additional action needs to be taken for an individual employee.
What is included in the New and Expectant Mothers Risk Assessment?
The Beauty of Praxis42’s new Assessment Tool is you can decide what is included in your risk assessments. Assessments can take various forms using a range of questions. We have created a template self-assessment which covers the following typical hazards which employees, who are new and expectant mothers, may be exposed to:
- Manual handling
- Thermal environment
- Excessive working hours and shift working
- Standing or sitting still for long periods of time
- Display screen equipment and ergonomics
- Work-related stress
- Threats of violence
- Lone working
- Hazardous substances
- Infectious diseases
This template self-assessment can be tailored to your organisations specific needs, removing hazards not found in your industry, or including additional industry specific hazards. You can also adapt questions or pre-set recommendations in the self-assessment in line with your organisations specific policies and procedures.
Upon the completion of the assessment, the information recorded will document where employees are not exposed to particular hazards and provides you with allocated risk-based recommendations to complete and/or detail where further investigation may be required.
Praxis42 can also undertake site visits to complete your new and expectant mothers risk assessments, just call us on 020 3011 4242 for more details.
SHINE Assessment Tool
Traditionally most companies use paper-based assessments to record their compliance documentation, but this poses a number of problems for organisations, something that Praxis42’s SHINE Assessment Tool solves.
The SHINE Assessment Tool is a self-authoring content management system. This powerful risk management system allows your employees to express their opinions about the issues associated with their tasks, work activity and the suitability of the working environment.
Critical problems are collected on a secure central database, risk rated and communicated to nominated issue managers or specific resolvers within your organisation. Our assessments have been created to help prioritise and co-ordinate managers efforts to focus on those who need the most support. This data collection process also provides valuable information for compliance purposes, combined with auditable record keeping and reporting capability.
SHINE is also a tool for recording actions carried out to support your employees, storing a chronological log of actions and assistance. These can be re-called at any time in the future therefore protecting the organisation from enforcement action and any civil claims. The easy-to-use record and reporting facilities enable you to pinpoint the employee’s record you need, at the time you need it, from any web connected device, using your unique secure username and password.
Benefits of using SHINE
There are a number of benefits in utilising the SHINE Assessment Tool in your organisation, which include:
- Improved compliance with health and safety legislation: including the Health and Safety at Work Act and The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations
- Increased ability to defend expensive personal injury claims
- Secure and easily retrievable record keeping
- Time efficiency savings
- Assess employee’s needs, wherever they may be located (including homeworkers)
- Fully customisable questions, recommendations and risk ratings
- Improved user involvement and wellbeing
- Recording of risk reduction interventions
- Auto allocation of issue resolver action and follow up
- Online monitoring of levels of compliance and use
- Provides a full range of management reporting metrics
Other Assessments Available Through SHINE
- Workstation Assessment +
- Driver Assessment +
- COVID19 return to work Risk Assessment – Retail
- COVID19 return to work Risk Assessment – Office
- Business continuity management assessment
- Homeworker assessment
- Young person assessment
Our eLearning is IOSH Approved, CPD Certified and SCORM Compliant